A Dutch merchant name retained.
(AP: t. 5,884; l. 395'8"; b. 51'5"; dr. 20'10"; s. 9.5 k.; a. 14")
Gorontalo was a Dutch cargo ship built by Bonn and Nees, Rotterdam, for Rotterdamsche Lloyd in 1908 and was among Dutch ships taken over by Customs officials in Hampton Roads 20 March 1918. She was turned over to the Shipping Board for transfer to the Navy. Gorontalo was operated on Army account by the Navy, commissioned at Newport News, Va., 4 April 1918, Lt. Comdr. John B. Powell, USNRF, in command.
Assigned to NOTS, Gorontalo proceeded to New York where she drydocked until 26 April, and then sailed for Baltimore to join a cargo convoy to Europe. Sailing 17 May, she arrived at St. Nazaire, France, 2 June 1918 with vital supplies for the Army. Gorontalo returned to Baltimore 12 July to prepare for another voyage.
Subsequently, she made three trips to France with supplies. On her second voyage, she returned to Baltimore with over 90 tons of captured German artillery. Gorontalo was then converted into an animal transport and on her third voyage carried over 500 horses to Bordeaux. Her last voyage to Europe was out of New Orleans, and, after arriving with a load of foodstuffs at Hamburg 27 March 1919, she returned to Rotterdam and was turned over to her original owners. Gorontalo decommissioned 14 May 1919.