Return to DANFS IndexImage of an anchorReturn to Naval History and Heritage Command homepage
flag banner
Dictionary of American Naval Fighting Ships banner
DEPARTMENT OF THE NAVY -- NAVAL HISTORY AND HERITAGE COMMAND
805 KIDDER BREESE SE -- WASHINGTON NAVY YARD
WASHINGTON DC 20374-5060

Glynn

 

A county of Georgia.

 

(APA-239: dp. 6,720; l. 455'; b. 62'; dr. 24'; s. 17.7 k.; cpl 536; a. 1 5" ; cl. Haskell)

 

Glynn (APA 239) was launched 25 August 1945 under a Maritime Commission contract by the Oregon Shipbuilding Corp., Portland, Oreg.; sponsored by Mrs. Homer D. Angell; and acquired and simultaneously commissioned 17 October 1945, Comdr. Ben Koerner, USNR, command.

 

Glynn sailed from San Diego 21 December 1945 on a "Magic-Carpet" voyage to the Philippines and reached Samar 8 January 1946. After touching Guam and Saipan. she returned to San Pedro, P.I., and sailed thence for battle-scarred Okinawa, arriving 14 April. Underway the next day for the United States, Glynn rode into San Diego Harbor again 30 April at voyage's end.

 

Two more round trip voyages, both out of San Francisco, brought the busy ship to Kwajalein, Bikini, the Philippines, and Okinawa from 21 May to 28 June 1946, and to Pearl Harbor, returning to the Golden Gate 26 July 1946.

 

Decommissioned 12 December 1946, Glynn remained in reserve until recommissioned 3 March 1951 at San Francisco. Training exercises off southern California occupied her until she steamed for the Atlantic, reaching Norfolk 25 July 1951. Subsequently she conducted peacetime training exercises in the Caribbean and Atlantic, exacting duty which included voyages to Greenland, Nova Scotia, Caribbean islands, and operations along the whole length of the Eastern seaboard. In addition, she conducted training cruises for Midshipmen.

 

Glynn put in at Charleston, S.C., 8 June 1955 following inactivation overhaul at New York. Decommissioned there 9 September 1955, she remained in reserve until stricken from the Navy List 1 July 1960, and returned to the Maritime Administration. She was placed in the National Defense Reserve Fleet and is at present berthed in the James River.