Return to DANFS IndexImage of an anchorReturn to Naval History and Heritage Command homepage
flag banner
Dictionary of American Naval Fighting Ships banner
DEPARTMENT OF THE NAVY -- NAVAL HISTORY AND HERITAGE COMMAND
805 KIDDER BREESE SE -- WASHINGTON NAVY YARD
WASHINGTON DC 20374-5060

Gladwyne

 

A city in Pennsylvania.

 

(PF-62: dp. 1,264; l. 303'11"; b. 37'6"; dr. 13'8"; s. 20.3 k.; cpl. 214; a. 3 3"/50 cal. cl. Tacoma)

 

Gladwyne (PF-62), formerly Worcester, was launched 7 January 1944 by the Globe Shipbuilding Co., Superior, Wis.; sponsored by Mrs. Phyllis M. Bennett; and commissioned 21 November 1944, Lt. Comdr. R. G. Miller, USCG, in command.

 

After shakedown, Gladwyne sailed from Philadelphia 21 January 1945 for Casco Bay, Maine, arriving 2 days later. Following training exercises there, she made two round trip transatlantic convoy escort voyages to Oran, Algeria, one each from New York and Norfolk, from 6 February-14 May 1945, returning to Boston each time. Refresher training at Casco Bay occupied June, and on 31 July Gladwyne sailed from Boston via Panama to reach Majuro 5 September. She served as plane guard there and at Kwajalein until putting in at Pearl Harbor 27 December 1945. Underway again 23 February 1946, Gladwyne patrolled on weather station until mooring at San Francisco 9 April. Decommissioned there 15 April 1946, she was stricken from the Navy List 8 October 1946 and sold to the Mexican Government 24 November 1947. She served Mexico as Papaloapan until disposed of in 1965.