A. plant of the iris family.
(Sc Tug; t. 81; l. 88'; b. 18'6"; dph. 7'9"; a. 2 12-pdr. r. 1 24-pdr. how.)
Gladiolus, formerly tug Sallie Bishop, was purchased at Philadelphia 2 June 1864 by Commodore C. K. Stribling. She commissioned 15 June 1864, Acting Master J. C. Hamlin in command.
Gladiolus departed Philadelphia 17 June 1864 to join Rear Admiral Dahlgren's South Atlantic Blockading Squadron, and was assigned to Charleston station, arriving 25 June. For the next six months she was actively engaged in towing and coaling ships of the squadron, and served as a night picket boat protecting the powerful ironclads from torpedo and boarding attack. During this period she was also assisted in the capture of several blockade runners.
After the capture of Charleston in February 1865, Gladiolus worked in the harbor clearing obstructions and searching for torpedoes. She subsequently served as a dispatch boat for the squadron between Florida ports and Port Royal until she sailed for Washington from Charleston 17 August 1865. She decommissioned at Washington Navy Yard 30 August 1865, and was sold 15 September to S. M. and J. M. Flanagan. Gladiolus returned to merchant service under the same name and was lost in 1887.