A field or body of ice formed in a region where snowfall exceeds melting; it moves slowly down a mountainside or valley. The second and fourth Glacier were named for Glacier Bay, Alaska; the third Glacier for Glacier County, Montana.
(AK-183: dp. 7,450; l. 338'6" ; b. 50'; dr. 21'1" ; s. 11.5 k.; cpl. 85; a. 13".)
The third Glacier (AK-183) was launched 22 April 1944 under a Maritime Commission contract by Walter Butler Shipbuilding, Inc., Superior, Wis.; sponsored by Miss Agnes Kennedy; acquired 29 March 1945 and commissioned 14 April 1945, Lt. C. L. Hitchcock, USNR, in command.
Following shakedown off Galveston, Tex., Glacier loaded lumber and metal drums at New Orleans and sailed 18 May 1945 for Pearl Harbor, where she put in 12 June to off-load her cargo. Underway 29 June with building supplies for Kwajalein, she returned via Eniwetok to San Francisco 5 August. Subsequently, a 5-month voyage out of San Francisco brought general cargo to Pearl Harbor, Tarawa, Majuro, Eniwetok, Guam, and Saipan before Glacier moored at Norfolk 1 February 1946, her missions accomplished. Decommissioned there 19 February 1946, she was returned to the Maritime Commission 3 days later and stricken from the Navy List 12 March 1946.