A bluish-white translucent opal with reddish reflections.
(PY-27: dp. 700; l. 170'; b. 27’1 ½ ;dr. 10'10"; s. 12 k; cpl. 55; a. 13")
Girasol (PY-27), formerly yacht Firenze, was built in 1926 by the Krupp Iron Works, Kiel, Germany; acquired 16 March 1942; and commissioned 19 March 1942, Lieutenant Herbert M. Jones, USNR, commanding.
Girasol sailed from Norfolk 10 August 1942 for shakedown off Guantanamo Bay, Cuba, and subsequently steamed via San Diego to reach Pearl Harbor 26 December. Attached to the Hawaiian Sea Frontier through October, 1945, she patrolled Hawaiian waters and made frequent voyages to Midway in addition to exacting duties as plane guard and station ship.
Detached from the Hawaiian Sea Frontier 7 November 1945 at war's end, Girasol decommissioned at Mare Island, Calif., 26 January 1946. Stricken from the Navy List 1 month later, she was transferred to the Maritime Commission 14 July 1947.