Counties in Indiana and Tennessee.
(LST-794; dp. 1,625; l. 328'; b. 50'; dr. 11'; s. 11.6 k.; cpl. 119; a' 8 40mm., 12 20mm.; cl. LST-511)
LST-794 was laid down by Dravo Corp., Pittsburgh, Pa., 12 July 1944; launched 16 September; sponsored by Mrs. B. H. Gommel and commissioned 16 October 1944, Lt. W. C. Cain, USCGR, in command.
Following shakedown, LST-794 departed New Orleans 15 November, en route to the Pacific. After embarking Army and Navy passengers at Pearl Harbor, she steamed to the New Hebrides, arriving Espiritu Santo 16 January 1945. Proceeding to the Russell Islands she debarked passengers and cargo before sailing to Guadalcanal for assignment. During the next 4 weeks she transported troops and cargo between Guadalcanal and the Russell Islands.
As the invasion of Okinawa approached, LST-794 engaged in intensive amphibious exercises in the Solomons, then steamed for the Ulithi staging area. After taking on marines and vehicles, the landing ship departed Ulithi 25 March, and 1 week later arrived off Okinawa. On 1 April her troops stormed ashore in small boats and LVT's as the Marine established a beachhead in the emperor's private sea. She remained in the assault area until 11 April when she sailed to Saipan for reinforcements.
For the rest of the war, L8T-794 transported troops and cargo to Okinawa and the Philippines. Following the victorious conclusion of the war, she remained in the Far East, assisting the occupation forces in Japan, Korea, and Okinawa. Returning to the United States in early 1946, LST-794 decommissioned 9 July 1946 and joined the Pacific Reserve Fleet, berthed in the Columbia River.
Named Gibson County 1 July 1955, she was used as a target and sunk 23 May 1959.
LST-794 received one battle star for World War II service.