A city in southern Pennsylvania, site of one of the most important battles of the Civil War 1-3 July 1863. It was at the dedication of the National Cemetery on the battleground 19 November 1863 that President Lincoln delivered his immortal Gettysburg Address.
(PCE-904: dp. 640; l. 184'6"; b. 33'1"; dr. 9'5"; s. 15.7 k.; cpl. 99; a. 1 3", 4 20mm., 4 dcp., 1 dcp. (h.h.), 2 dct; cl. PCE-84S)
The second Gettysburg (PCE-904) was laid down 18
February 1943 by Willamette Iron & Steel Corp., Portland, Oregon; launched 9 September 1943; sponsored by Mrs. Margaret Mashofsky; and commissioned VSS PCE-904 31 May 1945, Lt. Lloyd N. Emory in command.
PCE-904 was originally assigned to the Service Force, Pacific Fleet. Following the end of World War II, she operated out of Pearl Harbor, training naval reservists in the 14th Naval District. She decommissioned 5 January 1950 and recommissioned at New York 21 November. Assigned to the 3d Naval District as a Naval Reserve Training ship, she operated out of New York and later out of New London, Conn. PCE-904 decommissioned at New London 2 September 1955 and entered the Atlantic Reserve Fleet.
PCE-904 was named Gettysburg 15 February 1956. She was sold for scrapping to Boston Metals Co., Baltimore, Md., 23 June 1960.