George P. Squires
A former name retained.
(SP-303: t. 218; l. 142'6"; b. 22'; dr. 12'; s. 10 k; cpl. 27; a. none)
George P. Squires, a fishing steamer, was built by Henry Brusster, Baltimore, Md., in 1900; purchased by the Navy from her owner, Bellows & Squires, Inc., Ocran, Va., 12 May 1917; taken over at Norfolk 21 May 1917; and commissioned the same day, Ens. James B. McKenny, USNRF, in command.
Assigned to the 5th Naval District, George P. Squires served as a harbor patrol boat in Norfolk. In addition she swept for mines in the defensive sea area of Chesapeake Bay and patrolled the Virginia coast off Cape Henry. She decommissioned at Norfolk 27 July 1918 and was sold to James Dietrich of New York City 23 October.