A former name retained. See William G. Putnam for biography.
(SP-2284: t. 205; l. 122'6"; b. 28'; dr. 9'; s. 12 k.; cpl. 13; a. none)
General Putnam (SP-2284), a ferry boat, was built in 1902 by Pusey & Jones, Wilmington, Del.; acquired under charter by the Navy 6 February 1918 from her owner, John E. Moore & Co., New York City; taken over 16 July 1918; and placed in service at New York City 29 July 1919.
Assigned to the 3d Naval District, General Putnam was manned by the owner's civilian crew and was used as a ferry boat between New York Navy Yard and Ellis Island. After the Armistice, she was returned to her owner 2 October 1919.