Return to DANFS IndexImage of an anchorReturn to Naval History and Heritage Command homepage
flag banner
Dictionary of American Naval Fighting Ships banner
DEPARTMENT OF THE NAVY -- NAVAL HISTORY AND HERITAGE COMMAND
805 KIDDER BREESE SE -- WASHINGTON NAVY YARD
WASHINGTON DC 20374-5060

General C. H. Muir

 

Charles Henry Muir was born 18 July 1860 at Erie, Mich., and graduated from the Military Academy in 1885. Following duty at various posts in the United States, including service in the Indian Wars, he took part in the capture of Santiago during the Spanish-American War and fought in the Philippines during the insurrection which followed. Muir was also a member of the China Relief Expedition of 1901. Staff duty and service in the Philippines followed; and, with America's entrance into World War I, he was given command of the 28th Division. Muir was awarded the Distinguished Service Medal for his service during the Meuse-Argonne Offensive. After his return to the United States, Muir served on the General Staff and as Post Commander of various Army installations. Major General Muir retired in 1924 and died 8 December 1933 at Baltimore, MD.

 

(AP-142: dp. 9,950 (lt.); l. 522'10"; b. 71'6"; dr. 24'; s. 16 k.; cpl. 356; trp. 3,828; a. 4 5", 4 40mm., 16 20mm.; cl. General G. 0. Squier; T. C4-S-A1)

 

General C. H. Muir (AP-142) was launched 24 November 1944 under Maritime Commission contract by Kaiser Co., Inc., Yard 3, Richmond, Calif.; sponsored by Mrs. John H. Deasy; acquired and commissioned 12 April 1945 at Portland, Captain J. D. Conway in command.

 

Following shakedown off San Diego, General C. H. Muir departed 13 May from San Francisco for her first troop-carrying voyage to the war zones of the Pacific. The ship brought troops to Pearl Harbor, Eniwetok, Ulithi, and Leyte; served briefly as a receiving ship in the Philippines; and returned to New York via the Panama Canal 14 August 1945. The long Pacific war over, General C. H. Muir sailed 3 September to pick up returning veterans at Mediterranean and Indian Ocean ports. She arrived New York 1 November, and then, retracing her steps to bring home another full contingent of troops, she finally returned New York 9 January 1946. The ship made three subsequent voyages, one to New Orleans and two to Europe, before decommissioning at Baltimore 18 June 1946. She was returned to the Maritime Commission on that day and turned over to the Army Transportation Service.

 

Reacquired by the Navy 1 March 1950, General C. H. Muir began operations under MSTS. For 2 years she supported American forces in Europe, and on eastward crossings brought back to the United States thousands of refugees under the International Refugee Organization. In late 1952 the ship sailed from New York through the Mediterranean and thence through the Suez Canal to Korea, bringing reinforcements to our fighting men who were struggling to thwart Communist aggression against that country. She made another long rotation voyage, stopping at many European and Asian ports before being placed in Reduced Operational Status at New York 30 September 1953. In August 1954 General C. H. Muir steamed through the Panama Canal to San Francisco and sailed once more to Korea with replacement troops. Upon her return the ship was placed in the Pacific Reserve Fleet at San Diego, Calif., 7 February 1955. She was returned to the Maritime Administration in 1960. She entered the National Defense Reserve Fleet 30 June, and at present is berthed at Suisun Bay, Calif.

 

General C. H. Muir received two battle stars for Korean War service.