In an oil field, an individual responsible for measuring and determining the volume of oil shipments.
(YO-55: dp. 893 (It.); l. 235'; b. 37'; dr. 15'; s. 10k.; cpl. 34; a. none)
Gauger (YO-55) was laid down 7 January 1942 by RTC Shipbuilding Co., Camden, N.J., under a contract from Ira S. Bushby & Sons, Inc., Brooklyn, N.Y.; launched 28 May 1942; and commissioned 28 September 1942 at Philadelphia, Lt. C. O. Fulgham in command.
After shakedown along the New England coast, Gauger departed Boston 22 October for Icelandic waters. She reached Reykjavik, Iceland, 7 November after sailing via Portland, Maine, and Halifax, Nova Scotia. She supplied ships with diesel oil and aviation fuel and steamed the frigid North Atlantic, searching for mines and patrolling coastal waters. She remained in Iceland until late spring 1944 when she returned to the United States.
Gauger departed Norfolk in convoy 4 July for duty in the Mediterranean. She arrived Mers-el-Kebir, Algeria, 20 July; and during the next year operated with the 8th Fleet, carrying liquid cargo to American ships stationed in Algeria, Tunisia, Sardinia, Corsica, Sicily, and Italy. She steamed to Norfolk in July 1945, then departed 22 August for the Caribbean, where she continued to deliver gas and oil to ships stationed in the Dutch West Indies and the Canal Zone.
Gauger served in the Atlantic and Pacific Oceans off Central America until 7 September 1946 when she departed Balboa, C.Z., for Pearl Harbor. Towing YFD-6 and steaming in company with Bluebird (ASR-19), Cahuilla (ATF-152), and Tawakoni (ATF-119), she reached Pearl Harbor 12 October. She provided fueling services in Hawaiian waters until 3 March 1947 when she sailed for the Western Pacific. Steaming via Palmyra Island; Kwajalein, Marshalls; and Truk. Carolines; she arrived Guam 20 April. For 3 months she served ships at Guam and made a fueling run to Truk during June.
Gauger decommissioned at Guam 21 July and was brought back to the United States late in the year, arriving San Diego, Calif., in December. She was placed in reserve under the llth Naval District; at present she is berthed at San Diego with ships of the Pacific Reserve Fleet.
Ganger received two battle stars for World War II service.