Return to DANFS IndexImage of an anchorReturn to Naval History and Heritage Command homepage
flag banner
Dictionary of American Naval Fighting Ships banner
DEPARTMENT OF THE NAVY -- NAVAL HISTORY AND HERITAGE COMMAND
805 KIDDER BREESE SE -- WASHINGTON NAVY YARD
WASHINGTON DC 20374-5060

Gwinnett

 

A county in Georgia.

 

(AG-92: dp. 2,411; l. 338'8"; b. 50'4"; s. 11 k.; cpl. 105; a. 13", 6 20mm.; T. C1-M-AV1)

 

Gwinnett (AVS-5) was originally designated AK-185 and was launched as AG-92 under Maritime Commission contract by Walter Butler Shipbuilders, Inc., Superior, Wis., 14 May 1944; sponsored by Mrs. Oliva Dionne, mother of the Dionne quintuplets. After being taken down the Mississippi River to New Orleans, the ship was outfitted at Port Houston Iron Works, Houston, Tex., and commissioned there 10 April 1945, Lt. H. K. Golwey in command.

 

Soon after commissioning, Gwinnett was redesigned AVS-5 on 25 May 1945. After shakedown in the Gulf of Mexico she was ordered to the Pacific coast for disposal. Gwinnett arrived San Francisco 25 January 1946. She decommissioned and was simultaneously redelivered to the Maritime Commission 11 February 1946.