The commercial house of Joseph Gardoqui and Sons of Bilbao, Spain, represented the American Colonies in the Spanish court during the American Revolution.
(Gbt: a. 2 1-pdr.; cpl. 13)
Gardoqui, an ex-Spanish wooden gunboat, was purchased in 1898 by the Army; transferred to the Navy 9 November 1899; and commissioned 2 June 1899, Ens. John E. Lewis in command.
Although the Philippines had become American territory at the end of the Spanish-American war, the islands were torn by civil war as guerrilla rebels under Aguinaldo sought complete independence. To suppress the illegal trade of these rebels and to assist in Marine and Army landings, Gardoqui cruised Manila Bay and other waters in the Phillippines. She was one of 13 gunboats, including Panay, so involved. In addition, she bombarded insurgent positions and as they began to surrender, received former rebels on board for transportation to Manila. On 29 January 1900 four Marines sent ashore from Gardoqui were killed in a rebel ambush; and the ship herself was shot up.
Gardoqui decommissioned at Cavite Navy Yard for repairs 12 May 1900, recommissioning 30 November that same year to continue her previous duties, Ens. W. J. Tarrant in command. She decommissioned a second time 5 February 1902 at Cavite, was placed on the yard list there 15 December 1904, and later sold.