A merchant name retained.
(IX-54: dp. 320; l. 130'; b. 21'4" ; dr. 7'3"; s. 11.4 k.; cpl. 27)
Galaxy was a diesel motor yacht built in 1930 by Pusey and Jones Co., Wilmington, Del.; purchased 8 September 1941 from Mr. Bernard W. Doyle, Leominster, Mass.; and commissioned at East Boston, Mass., 20 September 1941, Lt. (j.g.) William D. Hodges, USNR, in command.
Galaxy was acquired for the express purpose of research in underwater sound. Based at East Boston throughout her entire career, as a unit of the 1st Naval District, she completed a variety of assignments for the Underwater Sound Laboratory, Fort Trumbull, New London, Conn.; experimental underwater sound work for the Bureau of Ships and the Harvard Underwater Sound Laboratory. These operations were carried out at Boston, off New London, Conn.; for a brief time off the Delaware breakwaters and in the Chesapeake Bay. She decommissioned and was placed "in service" 2 August 1945, to continue her experimental assignments until placed out of service at Boston 25 March 1946. Her name was struck from the Navy List 1 May 1946 and she was transferred to the Maritime Commission on 20 May 1946 for disposal.