A merchant name retained.
(SP-436: t. 74; l. 91'8"; b. 15'9"; dph. 8'6"; s. 14 k.; cpl. 7; a. 1 3-pdr., 1 1-pdr., 1 mg.)
Gaivota,, a wooden steam yacht built in 1897 by A. C. Brown of Tottenville, Long Island, was chartered by the Navy from Alfred C. Maron 8 June 1917. She was fitted out as a scout patrol craft in the Philadelphia Navy Yard; and commissioned 13 September 1917, Lt. (j.g.) E. D. Newell, USNRF, in command.
Target practice in the Delaware Bay was followed by alterations at Philadelphia. Assigned for duty to the 4th Naval District, she reached Cold Springs Harbor, N.J., 9 November 1917 to serve as a unit of the harbor entrance patrol off that port, Lewes, Del. and Breakwater Harbor, N.J. Gaivota returned to the Philadelphia Naval Shipyard 19 April 1918 and decommissioned 11 May 1918 for return to her owner.