G. W. Blunt
George William Blunt, born in Newburyport, Mass., 11 March 1802, was a pioneer publisher of nautical charts and books. His firm published many editions of Bow-ditch's Navigator and Blunt's Coastal Pilot. For over 40 years Blunt served as first assistant in the U.S. Coast Survey and was instrumental in gaining reforms in the U.S. Lighthouse Service. He died 19 April 1878 in New York City.
(Sch: t. 121; l. 76'6"; b. 20'6"; dph. 8'9"; s. 10 k.; a. 1 12-pdr., and 1 12-pdr. r.)
G. W. Blunt, formerly Blunt, was a wooden two-masted schooner acquired by the Navy in New York 23 November 1861. She commissioned 4 December 1861, Acting Master Henry Sherwood in command.
Arriving at Port Royal, S.C., 11 December 1861, G. W. Blunt served as a mail and dispatch boat for the South Atlantic Blockading Squadron between such points as Charleston, S.C., Wassaw Sound, Ga., and Fernandina, Fla. En route to Georgetown, S.C., 19 April 1862, she captured blockade-running schooner Wave with a cargo of cotton.
For the following year G. W. Blunt was on a blockade duty off Charleston and assisted in capturing several more vessels. She departed Port Royal for Philadelphia 7 May 1863 and decommissioned for repairs 13 May. Recommissioned 2 June 1863, G. W. Blunt rejoined the blockading squadron off Charleston, patrolling the many small inlets and bays near the main harbor.
Cruising on Charleston station until midsummer 1864, G. W. Blunt was sent to Port Royal 7 August, and on 25 August was fitted with diving equipment for salvage duty. She worked on many wrecks, including Constance on 13 November and Housatonic, (sunk 17 February 1864 by Confederate submarine H. L. Hunley) from 15 to 19 November. She was sent to Savannah 1 March 1865 to clear obstructions from the harbor, and returned to Charleston 1 April 1865. G. W. Blunt decommissioned 16 August 1865 at Port Royal and was sold there 20 October 1865.