Frank H. Buck
A merchant name retained.
(AO: l. 425'; b. 55'6"; dr. 27'; s. 11 k.; cpl. 90; a. 1 6", 1 4")
Frank H. Buck (No. 1613), a tanker, was built in 1914 by Union Iron Works, San Francisco, Calif.; acquired by the Navy 25 January 1918, and commissioned the same day, Lieutenant Commander G. E. McDonald, USNRF, in command.
After loading a full cargo of oil products at Port Arthur, Tex., Frank H. Buck cleared Hampton Roads, 19 February 1918 for Devonport and Scapa Flow, Britain, at both of which she discharged her oil into Navy storage tanks. She returned to New York 9 April 1918, and between that time and 2 December, made an additional five voyages to carry oil to United Kingdom ports. On 1 September, when 5 days out of Berehaven homeward bound, Frank H. Buck was attacked by U-155 and in the resulting surface gunfire action of 30 minutes, scored at least two hits on the submarine, inflicting serious damage. Frank H. Buck was decommissioned at New York 29 January 1919, and 2 days later turned over to the Shipping Board for return to her owner.