The name Fortify was assigned to AM-237 on 6 August 1942, but construction was canceled on 6 June 1944.
(AM-446: dp. 620; l. 172'; b. 36'; dr. 10'; s. 16 k.; cpl. 14; a. 1 40 mm.; cl. Agile)
Fortify (AM-446) was launched 14 February 1953 by Seattle Shipbuilding and Drydocking Co., Seattle, Wash.; sponsored by Mrs. Donald Scobie; and commissioned 16 July 1954, Lieutenant R. Juarez in command.
Fortify first arrived at Long Beach, Calif., her home port, 3 August 1954, and in December became flagship of Mine Division 92. Fortify was reclassified MSO-446 on 7 February 1955. During her first tour of duty in the Far East, from 1 July 1955 to 17 February 1956, Fortify took part in exercises with Japanese, Korean, and Chinese minesweepers, as well as fleet operations in Japanese waters. Her training activities and participation in exercises along the west coast prepared her for additional tours of duty in the Far East in 1958 and 1960.