Former name retained.
(AK: dp. 12,260 (n.); l. 423'9"; b. 64'; dr. 24'2"; s. 10k.; cpl. 60)
Fort Wayne (No. 3786), a cargo ship, was built in 1918 by Baltimore Drydock and Shipbuilding Co., Baltimore, Md.; acquired by the Navy 27 December 1918; and commissioned the same day, Lieutenant Commander S. C. Fenn, USNRF, in command.
Between 26 January 1919 and 20 April, Fort Wayne voyaged from the United States to Genoa, Italy, with a full load of cargo for the Italian government. She returned to Norfolk for decommissioning 23 April 1919 and coincident return to the Shipping Board.