Charles Williamson Flusser, born 27 September 1832 at Annapolis, Md., entered the Naval Academy in 1847, and after graduation served with distinction in command of Commodore Perry in the attack on Roanoke Islands and other operations in North Carolina waters during the Civil War. Later in command of Miami, Lieutenant Commander Flusser was killed in the action with CSS Albemarle off Plymouth, N.C., 19 April 1864.
(DD-289: dp. 1,190; l. 314'5"; b. 31'8"; dr. 9'4"; s. 35 k.; cpl. 120; a. 4 4", 4 21" tt.; cl. Clemson)
The third Flusser (DD-289) was launched 7 November 1919 by Bethlehem Shipbuilding Corp., Squantum, Mass.; sponsored by Mrs. Maude F. Williams; and commissioned 25 February 1920, Commander R. S. Galloway in command.
Flusser's first active service was patrol duty in Mexican waters between 9 May 1920 and 17 June, based at Key West. She carried out a comprehensive training schedule along the east coast and in the Caribbean until 18 June 1924 when she sailed from Newport for a tour of duty with Naval Forces, Europe, calling at ports in 15 countries before returning to New York 16 July 1925.
Returning to east coast and Caribbean operations, Flusser aided in the development of destroyer tactics and carried reservists on training cruises until decommissioned at Philadelphia 1 May 1930. She was scrapped 22 October 1930 in accordance with the terms of the London Treaty limiting naval armaments.