Return to DANFS IndexImage of an anchorReturn to Naval History and Heritage Command homepage
flag banner
Dictionary of American Naval Fighting Ships banner
DEPARTMENT OF THE NAVY -- NAVAL HISTORY AND HERITAGE COMMAND
805 KIDDER BREESE SE -- WASHINGTON NAVY YARD
WASHINGTON DC 20374-5060

Florida

 

The 27th State of the Union, admitted on 3 March 1845.

 

IV

 

(BM-9: dp. 3,225; l. 252'; b. 50'; dr. 12'6"; s. 12 k.; a. 2 12", 3 4", 1 3")

 

The fourth Florida, Monitor No. 9, was launched 30 November 1901 by Lewis Nixon, Crescent Shipyard, Elizabethport, N.J.; sponsored by Miss S. Wood; and commissioned 18 June 1903, with Commander J. C. Fremont in command.

 

Serving with the Coast Squadron, Florida trained midshipmen on summer cruises, and operated along the east coast and in the Caribbean waters. She participated in the Presidential Naval Review in Oyster Bay, Long Island, held by Theodore Roosevelt on 3 September 1906, and 4 days later reported to the Naval Academy for regular service as a practice ship. She was placed in reserve 11 September 1906 but returned to full commission between 7 June and 30 August 1907 for a midshipman cruise, and between 21 May and 19 June 1908 for participation in ordnance experiments.

 

On 1 July 1908 Florida was renamed Tallahassee to free the State name for assignment to a battleship. On 1 August 1910 she was placed in commission in reserve and began a regular schedule of ordnance experimentation and occasional duty in the Canal Zone and Norfolk area as a submarine tender. During World War I she served as submarine tender in the Canal Zone, the Virgin Islands, and Bermuda areas and on 30 September 1919 entered Charleston Navy Yard where she was decommissioned on 3 December 1918. Tallahassee was assigned to the 6th Naval District as a reserve training ship from 19 February 1920, serving in commissioned status from 3 September 1920 to 24 March 1922. She was sold at Philadelphia on 25 July 1922.