Return to DANFS IndexImage of an anchorReturn to Naval History and Heritage Command homepage
flag banner
Dictionary of American Naval Fighting Ships banner
DEPARTMENT OF THE NAVY -- NAVAL HISTORY AND HERITAGE COMMAND
805 KIDDER BREESE SE -- WASHINGTON NAVY YARD
WASHINGTON DC 20374-5060

Fixity

 

Stability.

 

(AM-235: dp. 530; l. 184'6"; b. 33'; dr. 9'9"; s. 15 k.; cpl. 104; a. 1 3"; cl. Admirable)

 

Fixity (AM-235) was launched 4 September 1944 by Puget Sound Bridge and Dredging Co., Seattle, Wash.; sponsored by Mrs. P. J. Toien; and commissioned 29 December 1944, Lieutenant Commander A. P. Krieger, USNR, in command.

 

Sailing from San Pedro, Calif., 4 March 1945, Fixity trained in the Hawaiian Islands for the rest of the month, then crossed the Pacific on convoy escort duty to Eniwetok, Ulithi, and Okinawa. From her arrival there 16 May, Fixity took station in the inner screen protecting the masses of shipping at the island, on 22 June driving off a lone Japanese airplane which attempted to attack her. She served on patrol and escort at Okinawa until 30 August, then began mine-sweeping operations off Korea, concentrating on the approaches to Jinsen. On 8 September she rendezvoused with the amphibious force bringing troops to occupy Jinsen, into which she accompanied them.

 

Fixity arrived at Sasebo 10 September 1945, and based there for sweeping operations in Japanese waters until February 1946, when she sailed for the west coast and inactivation. She was decommissioned at Bremerton, Wash., 6 November 1946, and transferred to the Maritime Commission 23 January 1948.

 

Fixity received two battle stars for World War II service.