(AM-444: dp. 620; l. 172'; b. 36'; dr. 10'; s. 10 k.; cpl. 74; a. 1 40 mm.; cl. Agile)
The second Firm (AM-444) was launched 15 April 1953 by J. M. Martinac Shipbuilding Corp., Tacoma, Wash.; sponsored by Mrs. Joseph S. Martinac; and commissioned 12 October 1954, Lieutenant J. E. Renn in command. She was reclassified MSO-444 on 7 February 1955.
From her home post at Long Beach, headquarters for Mine Force, Pacific Fleet, Firm sailed for training and exercises along the west coast, interrupted during 1955 for her conversion to flagship for Mine Division 94. Between 1 March 1956 and 2 November 1956, and again between 3 November 1958 and 31 May 1959, she served in the Far East with the 7th Fleet, exercising with ships of the Korean, Chinese Nationalist, and Thai navies, as well as visiting a wide number of Oriental ports and taking part in fleet training schedules. Through 1962, she continued her west coast operations out of Long Beach.