A young deer.
(StwStr: dp. 174; l. 158'8"; b. 30'5"; dr. 3'6"; s. 4 mph.; a. 6 24-pdr. how.)
Fawn, a stern wheel steamer, was launched in 1863 at Cincinnati, Ohio, as Fanny Barker; purchased by the Navy 13 May 1863, having been commissioned 11 May 1863, Acting Master J. R. Grace in command; and renamed Fawn 19 June 1863.
Throughout the remainder of the Civil War, Fawn patrolled the Mississippi, Tennessee, White, and Arkansas Rivers, also convoying Army transports, ferrying troops across rivers, carrying Army payrolls, and often engaging Confederate batteries, cavalry, and foot soldiers ashore. For much of her career, she served in the White River, convoying transports and shelling Confederate positions threatening Union troop concentrations. From March through June 1864, aside from a brief repair period at Memphis, she supported Army operations against Clarendon, Arkansas, receiving one hit from a shore battery there.
From March to May 1865, Fawn patrolled the Mississippi between the White and St. Francis Rivers, then sailed up river to Mound City, 111., where she was decommissioned 30 June 1865 and sold 17 August 1865.