Fanny Skinner was the daughter of Captain C. S. Skinner.
(Metal lifeboat: l. 25'; b. 6'6"; dr. 8")
Fanny Skinner, built by Francis' Metallic Life-boat Co., Green Point, Long Island, N.Y., was a galvanized iron lifeboat used on Lieutenant W. L. Lynch's 1847-1848 exploring expedition to the River Jordan and the Dead Sea. The expedition sailed in storeship Supply from New York on 26 November 1847. On 31 March 1848 Lynch reported that the lifeboat was landed at Acre, Palestine. Mounted on a carriage designed foroverland transportation, Fanny Skinner was dragged by camel train over the almost impassable mountain trails to the shore of the Sea of Galilee. There, on 8 April 1848, she was launched; Lynch reported: ". . . buoyantly floated the two 'Fannies' [Fanny Skinner and Fanny Mason (q.v.)], bearing the stars and stripes, the noblest flag of freedom now waving in the world."
During the next month Fanny Skinner, under command of Passed-Midshipman R. Aulick, rode down the Jordan, surviving the terrific beatings of shooting some 176 rapids, and cruised around the Dead Sea, gathering knowledge of that historic region. Early in May 1848, Fanny Skinner was disassembled into sections small enough to be carried by pack animals, and was transported overland to the Mediterranean. Loaded once more on board Supply, the lifeboat was returned to the United States.