(SS-22: dp. 330; l. 142'7"; b. 16'5"; dr. 12'2"; s. 14 k.; cpl. 22; a. 4 18" tt.; cl. F)
SS-22, originally named Pickerel, was renamed F-3 on 17 November 1911, launched 6 January 1912 by the Moran Bros. Co., Seattle, Wash.; sponsored by Mrs. M. F. Backus; and commissioned 5 August 1912, Ensign K. Heron in command.
F-3 completed her trials in the Puget Sound area before reporting for duty at San Francisco 15 October 1912, when she joined the 1st Submarine Group, Pacific Torpedo Flotilla. The Flotilla operated along the coast of California, conducting constant exercises and experiments to develop the techniques of submarine warfare, and from August 1914 to November 1915, carried out similar operations in the Hawaiian Islands. F-3 was placed in ordinary at Mare Island 15 March 1916, returning to full commission 13 June 1917.
After training her new crew, F-3 was assigned to the Coast Torpedo Force, Pacific Fleet, based at San Pedro. She engaged in daily operations, surfaced and submerged, training students of the submarine school. During maneuvers 17 December 1917, she and F-1 collided, the latter sinking almost immediately. F-3 along with other submarines with whom she was operating rescued all but 19 of the crew of F-1. F-3 suffered a cracked bow cap and after repairs at Mare Island was assigned operations in cooperation with a civilian motion picture company in experiments with underwater photography. From 1919 through 1921, F-3 served at San Pedro as training ship, and on 15 March 1922 she was decommissioned. She was sold 17 August 1922.