Return to DANFS IndexImage of an anchorReturn to Naval History and Heritage Command homepage
flag banner
Dictionary of American Naval Fighting Ships banner
DEPARTMENT OF THE NAVY -- NAVAL HISTORY AND HERITAGE COMMAND
805 KIDDER BREESE SE -- WASHINGTON NAVY YARD
WASHINGTON DC 20374-5060

Everglades

 

A national park comprising a swampy, subtropical region in southern Florida.

 

(AD-24: dp. 8,165; l. 492'; b. 69'9"; dr. 27'6"; s. 18 k.; cpl. 826; a. 1 5", 4 3"; cl. Klondike)

 

Everglades was launched on 28 January 1945 by the Todd Shipyard Corp., San Pedro, Calif.; sponsored by Mrs. Anne E. Richardson, and completed on 23 May 1946. Never commissioned she was turned over to the San Diego Group, Pacific Reserve Fleet for inactivation on 15 May 1947.

 

United States embroilment in the Korean hostilities occasioned activation of Everglades who commissioned for the first time on 25 May 1951, Captain Thomas M. Brown, commanding.

 

Following shakedown and training exercises, Everglades transited the Panama Canal and arrived at Norfolk, Va., for duty with Destroyer Force Atlantic. Since then she has played a vital part in keeping the Navy ready, repairing Norfolk-based destroyers and servicing ships in the Caribbean or the Mediterranean where she has made four extensive cruises through the end of 1960.