Return to DANFS IndexImage of an anchorReturn to Naval History and Heritage Command homepage
flag banner
Dictionary of American Naval Fighting Ships banner
DEPARTMENT OF THE NAVY -- NAVAL HISTORY AND HERITAGE COMMAND
805 KIDDER BREESE SE -- WASHINGTON NAVY YARD
WASHINGTON DC 20374-5060

Eugene

 

A city in Oregon.

 

(PF-40: dp. 1,264; l. 303'11"; b. 37'6"; dr. 13'8"; s. 20 k.; cpl. 190; a. 3 3";cl. Tacoma)

 

Eugene (PF-40) was launched by Consolidated Steel Corp., Wilmington, Calif., on 6 July 1943, sponsored by Mrs. Frank D. Cross; and commissioned on 15 January 1944, Commander C. R. MacLean, USCG, in command.

 

Following her shakedown cruise, Eugene, who was manned by a Coast Guard crew, stood out of San Francisco en route to the southwestern Pacific.

 

Arriving off the coast of Australia in late June 1944 she engaged in antisubmarine patrol off New Guinea and the Philippines, transported personnel, bombarded the shore at Soepiori Island, but principally escorted convoys among the islands of the area.

 

In December 1944 she returned to the United States for overhaul. She returned briefly to convoy duty until 25 May 1945 when she was converted to a weather ship, and performed this duty until arriving at Charleston, S.C., for decommissioning on 12 June 1946. Eugene was stricken from the Navy List on 19 July 1946.

 

Eugene received two battle stars for World War II service.