Return to DANFS IndexImage of an anchorReturn to Naval History and Heritage Command homepage
flag banner
Dictionary of American Naval Fighting Ships banner
DEPARTMENT OF THE NAVY -- NAVAL HISTORY AND HERITAGE COMMAND
805 KIDDER BREESE SE -- WASHINGTON NAVY YARD
WASHINGTON DC 20374-5060

Etawina

 

Etawina is an Otchipwe Indian word meaning "both sides of the body."

 

Etawina (YTB-543) was launched by the Consolidated Shipbuilding Corp., Morris Heights, N.Y., on 11 June 1945 and completed in November of that year. She was placed in service in the 1st Naval District, remaining there until placed in reserve status in March 1946. She returned to active duty in January 1951, rendering her tug services in the 6th Naval District to the present time.