Return to DANFS IndexImage of an anchorReturn to Naval History and Heritage Command homepage
flag banner
Dictionary of American Naval Fighting Ships banner
DEPARTMENT OF THE NAVY -- NAVAL HISTORY AND HERITAGE COMMAND
805 KIDDER BREESE SE -- WASHINGTON NAVY YARD
WASHINGTON DC 20374-5060

Energy

 

Capacity for performing work; inherent power.

 

II

 

(AM-436: dp. 620; l. 172'; b. 36'; dr. 10'; s. 16 k.; cpl. 74; a. 1 40 mm.; cl. Agile)

 

The second Energy (AM-436) was launched 13 February 1953 by J. M. Martinac Shipbuilding Co., Tacoma, Wash.; sponsored by Mrs. A. M. Baughman; and commissioned 16 July 1954, Lieutenant Commander F. H. Sonntag in command. She was reclassified MSO-436, 7 February 1955.

 

Energy arrived at Long Beach, her home port, 3 August 1954, and began training along the west coast with the ships of her division. On 4 January 1956, she sailed for her first tour of duty in the western Pacific, taking part in a large-scale exercise off Iwo Jima, and training with ships of the Republic of Korea and China. Returning to her home port 15 June, she cruised along the west coast during the next year, conducting sonar tests and serving as a schoolship for officers of the Thailand navy.

 

During her second deployment to the Far East, from 2 June 1958 to 6 January 1959, Energy stood by at Taiwan during the crisis brought on by renewed Communist shelling of Quemoy and Matsu, and again exercised with Chinese minesweepers. Specialized mine warfare exercises and general training with the fleet, along with visits to various west ports, were conducted through the summer of 1960. For the remainder of the year Energy served with the 7th Fleet in Far East waters.