Capacity for performing work; inherent power.
(AMC-78: dp. 219 (f.); l. 97'6"; b. 22'3"; dr. 9'; s. 10 k,; cpl. 17; a. 2 50 cal. mg.; cl. Accentor)
The first Energy (AMC-78) was launched 20 September 1941 by W. A. Robinson, Inc., of Ipswich, Mass.; sponsored by Mrs. E. Benedix; and commissioned 1 January 1942, Lieutenant (junior grade) J. L. Maloney, USNR, in command.
After conducting tests at the Mine Warfare School at Yorktown, Va., Energy arrived at St. Georges, Bermuda, 24 March 1942, for sweeping duty until 20 October, when she sailed for Boston. Here she was decommissioned 9 November 1942, and given "in-service" status. She became YDT-3 in July 1946 and continues to serve with the 1st Naval District.