Former name retained.
(ScStr: t. 350; l. 156'; b. 21'; dr. 9'4"; s. 12 k.; a. 6 24-pdr. how., 2 12-pdr. r.)
The first Emma, a screw steamer, was captured 24 July 1863 while running the blockade by the Army transport Arago; purchased by the Navy from the New York prize court 30 September 1863; fitted out at New York Navy Yard; and put to sea on 4 November 1863, Acting Master G. B. Livingston in command.
Emma arrived at Newport News, Va., 7 November 1863 to patrol with the North Atlantic Blockading Squadron until the end of the war. Enforcing the blockade, she played a significant role in the Navy's indispensable contribution to victory through isolating the South from oversea sources of supply. Emma joined in the destruction of blockade runner Ella off Wilmington, N.C., 6 December 1864, and the attacks on Fort Fisher of 24 and 25 December 1864 and 13 to 15 January 1865.
On 26 April 1865, Emma sailed from Fort Caswell, N.C., with an urgent message from General W. T. Sherman to Rear Admiral J. A. Dahlgren, commanding the South Atlantic Blockading Squadron, which warned the Admiral that Confederate President Davis and his cabinet, not yet located, might attempt to escape by way of Florida to Cuba. Emma put in to Key West on this cruise, then returned to patrol the Carolina coast until 24 August, when she arrived at Boston. There she was decommissioned 30 August 1865 and sold 1 November 1865.