Former name retained.
(AK: dp. 8,725; l. 353'3"; b. 49'1"; dr. 28'8"; s. 11 k.; cpl. 62; a. 1 6")
Elinor (No. 2465), a cargo ship, was formerly known as General de Castelnau. She was launched 17 October 1917 by Baltimore Dry Dock and Shipbuilding Co., Baltimore, Md.; transferred from the Shipping Board 20 March 1918 and commissioned the same day, Lieutenant Commander A. H. Carleton, USNRF, in command.
Assigned to the Naval Overseas Transportation Service, Elinor was fitted out at Newport News for cargo. From 16 April 1918 to 17 April 1919, she made four voyages to Bordeaux, St. Nazaire and Nantes. She carried trucks, ammunition and general cargo for the Army, returning in ballast or carrying ordnance. Between her third and fourth voyages in February 1919 she drew the special assignment of dumping 2,460 tons of 75 mm. shells, gas drums, and mustard gas projectiles in deep water, well clear of traffic lanes off the Virginia Capes. After her fourth voyage, Elinor was decommissioned 26 April 1919 and returned to the Shipping Board the same day.