A very light particle associated with the elementary charge of negative electricity.
(LST-1070: dp. 2,179; l. 328'; b. 50'; dr. 14'1"; s. 12 k.; cpl. 119; a. 8 40 mm.; cl. LST-1)
LST-1070 was launched 9 March 1945 by Bethlehem-Hingham Shipyard, Hingham, Mass.; and commissioned 5 April 1945, Lieutenant R. P. Seem in command.
Sailing from New York 19 May 1945 LST-1070 arrived in the Philippines 14 July and, except for one voyage to Tokyo Bay to carry occupation cargo, operated there until October. She shifted to Japan briefly, then returned to Pearl Harbor 6 December to begin conversion to an electronics parts issue ship. In 1946 her conversion was halted and she sailed to the west coast where she was placed out of commission in reserve 3 December at Astoria, Oreg. She was reclassified AG-146, 27 January 1949, and assigned the name Electron, 1 February 1949.
Recommissioned 6 October 1950 as a result of the Korean war, Electron, with alterations completed at Bremerton, loaded electronic equipment at Oakland for issue to the fleet. She sailed from San Diego 2 December for the Far East, arriving at Sasebo, Japan, 5 February 1951. She operated from this port and Yokosuka for the remainder of the Korean war, supplying and supporting Allied forces in the Far East during which time she was reclassified AKS-27 on 18 August 1951. She remained in this duty after the war, and from 18 January 1954 to 30 April 1955 was stationed at Subic Bay. She returned to the west coast in April 1956, and was again placed out of commission in reserve 16 November 1956. Electron was stricken from the Navy List 1 April 1960 and sold in December 1960.