An island off the coast of Georgia.
(AG-132: dp. 520; l. 177'; b. 33'; dr. 10'; s. 13 k.; cpl. 26; cl. Camano)
Elba (AG-132) was built in 1944 by Wheeler Shipbuilding Corp., Whitestone, Long Island, N.Y., for the Army as FS-267; acquired by the Navy at Guam 14 March 1947; renamed and commissioned 3 July 1947, Lieutenant (junior grade) G. Rhys in command. She was reclassified AKL-3, 31 March 1949.
From her base at Guam, Elba, during her brief service, steadily carried passengers, mail, cargo and Government officials among the Caroline, Mariana, Marshall, and Palau island groups. She operated under Commander, Service Division 51. With time out for two brief overhauls at Pearl Harbor, Elba faithfully served the administration of the Pacific Trust Territory in the Marianas, Carolines and Marshalls, even for a time after decommissioning 27 July 1951 at Guam. She was transferred 29 January 1952 to the Department of the Interior.