Egeria was a fountain nymph in Roman Mythology.
(ARL-8: dp. 2,125; l. 328'; b. 50'; dr. 11'; s. 12 k.; cpl. 255; a. 1 3"; cl. Achelous)
LST-136 was launched by Chicago Bridge and Iron Works, Seneca, 111., 23 November 1943, sponsored by Mrs. Delphine Z. Draut, and placed in reduced commission on 18 December 1943. She proceeded to Baltimore, Md., was decommissioned, converted to ARL-8, named Egeria 3 November 1943, and recommissioned on 30 March 1944, Lieutenant A. H. Wilson, USNR, in command.
After sailing through the Panama Canal to San Diego and taking on supplies, she departed for Pearl Harbor, and thence to Eniwetok Lagoon where she remained from 21 June to 16 July 1944 repairing damaged ships in that area.
On 17 July she joined a task unit bound for Guam where she effected repairs to vessels, and thereafter proceeded to Saipan, Tinian, Leyte Gulf, Lingayen Gulf, Kerama Retto, and Okinawa rendering her vital repair services to the ships of the fleet damaged by weather and battle. Following a period of overhaul, in June 1945 she proceeded to Saipan and returned to Pearl Harbor where she converted LCIs for service as transports.
Following decommissioning she was placed in the Pacific Reserve Fleet in January 1947, remaining there to the present time.