Edward L. Dohney III
Former name retained.
(AO: dp. 18,220; l. 485'3"; b. 62'6"; dr. 27'; s. 10 k.; cpl. 70; a..14", 1 3")
Edward L. Doheny III (No. 3835), a tanker, was built in 1918 by New York Shipbuilding Corp., Camden, N.J.; transferred to the Navy from the Shipping Board 25 November 1918; and commissioned the same day, Lieutenant Commander N. S. Baker, USNRF, in command.
Edward L. Doheny III made one voyage to Tampico in December 1918 to load oil which she delivered to east coast ports. Reloading at Port Arthur, Tex., she sailed for Europe to discharge at various ports. Many similar voyages were made in the Naval Overseas Transportation Service throughout 1919, and occasionally the tanker doubled as a transport, bringing home troops. In August she delivered oil to the Canal Zone and Guan-tanamo Bay, reloaded at New Orleans and proceeded to Scotland to offload in the Clyde. She returned to New York 20 October 1919, was decommissioned 17 November 1919 and returned to the Shipping Board for disposal.