Edenshaw was a well-known Haida Indian chief whose cordiality and trading abilities won him amity and wealth in dealing with the whites in British Columbia during the 19th century.
The first Edenshaw (YT-459), formerly Intent, was built by the Gulfport Boiler and Welding Works, Port Arthur, Tex., in 1942. She was acquired by the Navy for service on the Moroccan Sea Frontier during 1943-44. On 15 May 1944 she was reclassified YTB-459 and on 17 October was transferred to France under lend lease. Upon her return, she was transferred to the State Department for disposal, and stricken from the Navy List on 28 April 1949.