Duc de Lauzun
Former name retained.
Duc de Lauzun, formerly a British customs ship, was purchased in October 1782 at Dover, England, and outfitted in Nantes, France, for use in the Continental Navy. Under the command of Lieutenant S. Nicholson, in January 1783 she was dispatched from Philadelphia, Pa., to bring home 72,000 Spanish milled dollars from Havana for the American Government. Clearing Havana 6 March escorted by the Continental ship Alliance under the command of Captain J. Berry, she sailed for home with her precious cargo. On their passage north the two ships encountered two men-of-war whom they evaded after a sharp engagement, largely because of their superior seamanship. Duc de Lauzun separated from Alliance on 18 March off Cape Hatteras and arrived in the Delaware 3 days later. In April 1783 she was lent to France to carry home French troops after which she was sold.