A northern constellation.
(AK-79: dp. 4,023; l. 441'6"; b. 56'11"; dr. 28'4"; s. 12 k.; cpl. 198; a. 1 5", 1 3"; cl. Crater)
Draco (AK-79) was launched 19 January 1943 as John M. Palmer by Permanente Metals Corp., Richmond, Calif., under a Maritime Commission contract; sponsored by Miss G. M. San Facon; transferred to the Navy 31 January 1943; and commissioned 16 February 1943, Lieutenant Commander E. L. Evey, USNR, in command.
Draco towed YFD-21 from Seattle by way of Pearl Harbor to Espiritu Santo, arriving 5 May 1943. She carried cargo from Auckland, New Zealand, to bases on Noumea, Espiritu Santo, Guadalcanal, and the Fiji Islands, and acted in support of the consolidation of the Solomons, the invasions of Cape Torokina, Bougainville, and of Emirau Island. From 27 July to 10 August 1944 she unloaded cargo at Guam in the capture and occupation of that island, then returned to cargo runs between New Zealand and the Solomons until arriving at Ulithi 26 May 1945.
Draco sailed from Ulithi 20 June 1945 for Okinawa, where she discharged Army supplies from 26 June to 12 July. Sailing by way of Guadalcanal to load salvaged equipment and vehicles, Draco arrived at Tacoma, Wash., 27 August 1945. Draco was decommissioned 28 November 1945 and returned to the Maritime Commission for disposal the same day.
Draco received two battle stars for World War II service.