Return to DANFS IndexImage of an anchorReturn to Naval History and Heritage Command homepage
flag banner
Dictionary of American Naval Fighting Ships banner
DEPARTMENT OF THE NAVY -- NAVAL HISTORY AND HERITAGE COMMAND
805 KIDDER BREESE SE -- WASHINGTON NAVY YARD
WASHINGTON DC 20374-5060

Detector

 

One who locates an object.

 

II

 

(AM-429: dp. 620; l. 172'; b. 36'; dr. 10'; s. 16 k.; cpl. 74; a. 1 40 mm.; cl. Agile)

 

The second Detector (AM-429) was launched 5 December 1952 by Astoria Marine Construction Co., Astoria, Oreg.; sponsored by Mrs. W. Norblad; and commissioned 26 January 1954, Lieutenant Commander J. E. Tingle in command. She was reclassified MSO-429, 7 February 1955.

 

Detector sailed from San Diego 18 October 1954 to join Mine Force, Atlantic Fleet, and arrived at Charleston, S.C., 8 November. Along with her operations in the local area and off Florida on mine exercises, she served tours of duty with the 6th Fleet in the Mediterranean in 1956, 1957, and 1959. She cruised to northern Europe between 12 May and 30 September 1958 and through 1962 took part in training and amphibious exercises.

 

USS Detector (AM-429)