A northern constellation.
(AF-24: dp. 6,000; l. 329'; b. 44'2"; dr. 23'; s. 12 k.;cpl. 107; a. 14", 13")
Delphinus (AF-24) was built in 1915 as San Mateo by Workman Clark and Co., Ltd., Belfast, Ireland; acquired by the Navy 11 August 1942; and commissioned the same day as San Mateo, Lieutenant O. M. Mikkelsen, USNR, in command. She was assigned the name Delphinus on 22 August 1942.
Departing San Francisco 12 September 1942, Delphinus arrived at Auckland, New Zealand, 4 October. She operated from this base until the end of 1945, carrying chilled and frozen provisions to forward bases in the South Pacific and to the Society, Fiji, and Sa-moan Islands. After calling at Manila in January 1946, Delphinus sailed for the west coast, arriving at San Francisco 23 February- For a brief period she carried cargo along the west coast and to Pearl Harbor, then sailed to New Orleans where she was decommissioned S) May 1946 and delivered to the War Shipping Administration the same day.