Return to DANFS IndexImage of an anchorReturn to Naval History and Heritage Command homepage
flag banner
Dictionary of American Naval Fighting Ships banner
DEPARTMENT OF THE NAVY -- NAVAL HISTORY AND HERITAGE COMMAND
805 KIDDER BREESE SE -- WASHINGTON NAVY YARD
WASHINGTON DC 20374-5060

Dearborn

 

A city in Michigan.

 

(PF-33: dp. 1,430; l. 303'11"; b. 37'6";  dr.  13'8"; s. 20 k.; cpl. 190; a. 3 3"; cl. Tacoma)

 

Dearborn (PF-33) was launched 27 September 1943 by Walter Butler Shipbuilding Co., Superior, Wis., under a Maratime Commission contract; sponsored by Mrs. R. C. Dahlinger of Dearborn, Mich.; and commissioned 10 September 1944, Lieutenant Commander F. F. Nichols, USCG, in command.

 

Sailing from Boston 3 November 1944 Dearborn arrived at Argentia, Newfoundland, 4 days later for duty on weather patrol. She had similar duty off Bermuda, as well as plane guard and rescue duty until 30 April 1946 when she arrived at. Boston. On 7 May she departed for Charleston, arriving 2 days later. Dearborn was decommissioned there 5 June 1946 and sold 8 July 1947.