A city in Ohio.
The name Dayton was assigned to CL-78 on 28 December 1940. CL-78 was renamed and reclassified Monterey (CVL-26) (q. v.) on 31 March 1942 prior to launching.
(CL-105: dp. 10,000; l. 610'1"; b. 66'6"; dr. 20'; s. 33 k.; cpl. 992; a. 12 6", 12 5"; cl. Cleveland)
Dayton (CL-105) was launched 19 March 1944 by New York Shipbuilding Corp., Camden, N.J.; sponsored by Mrs. H. Rueger; and commissioned 7 January 1945, Captain P. W. Steinhagen in command.
Dayton arrived at Pearl Harbor 15 May for training, and reached San Pedro Bay, Leyte, 16 June to join the 3d Fleet. On 1 July she sortied with the Fleet for the final strikes along the Japanese coast, screening the fast carrier task groups and conducting shore bombardments. She entered Tokyo Bay 10 September, and except for a brief period of upkeep at Eniwetok, remained on occupation duty until 7 November when she got underway for San Pedro, Calif., arriving 19 November.
Dayton sailed from San Pedro 24 January 1946 and arrived at Pearl Harbor 6 days later en route to Japan. Her orders were changed and on 7 February she sailed to join the Atlantic Fleet, conducting training at Guantanamo Bay on her way to Norfolk, her assigned home port.
On 3 February 1947 Dayton sailed from Norfolk for a tour in the Mediterranean, exercising off Malta, and paying calls, including a diplomatic visit to Istanbul, Turkey, then sailed again to the Mediterranean, acting as flagship for Commander, Naval Forces, Mediterranean, for part of this deployment from which she returned to Boston 30 November. Following local operations from Newport and another cruise to the Mediterranean between 9 February and 26 June 1948, Dayton was placed out of commission in reserve at Boston 1 March 1949.
Dayton received one battle star for World War II service.