Return to DANFS IndexImage of an anchorReturn to Naval History and Heritage Command homepage
flag banner
Dictionary of American Naval Fighting Ships banner
DEPARTMENT OF THE NAVY -- NAVAL HISTORY AND HERITAGE COMMAND
805 KIDDER BREESE SE -- WASHINGTON NAVY YARD
WASHINGTON DC 20374-5060

Davis

 

Charles Henry Davis, born 16 January 1807 in Boston, Mass., was appointed Midshipman 12 August 1823 and made many valuable scientific contributions to the Navy before the Civil War during which he served with distinction. As Flag Officer of the Mississippi Flotilla he directed the capture and destruction of seven Confederate gunboats and rams near Memphis, Tenn., and received the surrender of the city 6 June 1862; joined Farragut's fleet for operations against Vicksburg; and cooperated with the Army expedition up the Yazoo River from 16 to 27 August 1862. From 1862 to 1865 Admiral Davis served as Chief of the Bureau of Navigation, then served as Superintendent of the Naval Observatory; Commander in Chief, South Atlantic Squadron; Commandant of Norfolk Navy Yard; and member of the Lighthouse Board. Admiral Davis died in Washington, D.C., 18 February 1877. TB-12, DD-65, and DD-395 were named to honor him.

 

George Fleming Davis born 23 March 1911 in Manila, Philippine Islands, graduated from the Naval Academy 31 May 1934. He was on board Oklahoma (BB-37) when the Japanese attacked Pearl Harbor, and served in Honolulu (CL-48) from 1942 to 1944, earning the Legion of Merit for his services as Damage Control Officer. He was given command of Walke (DD-723) and died on board her 6 January 1945 as a result of a Japanese suicide plane attack. For his fearlessness in directing the destruction of four attacking kamikazes and his refusal to leave the bridge despite serious injuries until the safety of his ship was assured, Commander Davis was posthumously awarded the Medal of Honor. DD-937 is named in his honor.

 

II

 

(DD-65: dp. 1,075; l. 315'3"; b. 30'7"; dr. 9'3"; s. 30 k.; cpl. 99; a. 4 4", 12 21" tt.; cl. Tucker)

 

The second Davis (DD-65) was launched 15 August 1916 by Bath Iron Works, Bath, Maine; sponsored by Miss E. Davis, granddaughter of Rear Admiral Davis; and commissioned 5 October 1916, Lieutenant Commander R. F. Zogbaum, Jr., in command.

 

Assigned to Destroyer Force, Atlantic Fleet, Davis operated on the east coast and in the Caribbean until the United States entered World War I. She sailed from Boston 24 April 1917 as one of six destroyers in the first American destroyer detachment to reach European waters, arriving at Queenstown, Ireland, 4 May. She performed patrol duty off the coast of Ireland and escorted merchant convoys through the zone of greatest danger from submarines. Between 25 and 28 June she met and escorted troop transports carrying the first American Expeditionary Force to France. She also rescued many survivors of torpedoed vessels, and on 12 May 1918 picked up 35 members of the crew of the German submarine U-103 which had been badly damaged in a collision with the British ship Olympic, turning her prisoners over to British military authorities at Milford Haven. On 13 December 1918 she formed part of the escort force to take George Washington with President Woodrow Wilson embarked into the harbor at Brest, France, then passed in review before the President.

 

Davis returned to New York 7 January 1919 and after an overhaul there joined Division 4, Flotilla 8, Destroyer Force, Atlantic Fleet, to cruise on the east coast.

 

From September 1919 to November 1920 she was in reserve at Philadelphia Navy Yard. Arriving at Charleston, S.C., 3 December 1920, she operated from that port and Newport in reduced commission until arriving at Philadelphia Navy Yard 29 March 1922. She was decommissioned there 20 June 1922 and transferred to the Coast Guard 25 March 1926. Returned to the Navy 30 June 1933, she was retained in a decommissioned status until sold 22 August 1934.