A city in Iowa.
(PF-69: dp. 1,430; l. 303'11'; b. 37'6"; dr. 13'8"; s. 20 k.; cpl. 190; a. 2 3"; cl. Tacoma)
Davenport (PF-69) was launched 8 December 1943 by Leathern D. Smith Shipbuilding Co., Sturgeon Bay, Wis., under a Maritime Commission contract; sponsored by Mrs. E. Frick; transferred to the Navy 1 June 1944 and placed in service the same day; placed out of service for additional work a week later; and commissioned in full 15 February 1945, Commander H. F. Stolfi, USCG, in command.
Departing Norfolk 17 April 1945 Davenport joined Pert (PG-95) and Action (PG-86) for an antisubmarine patrol off Casco Bay. She returned to New York 24 April and 3 days later got underway to escort a convoy to Mers-el-Kebir, Algeria, returning to Norfolk 7 June. Two days later she entered the Navy Yard at Charleston for conversion to a weather ship.
Davenport stood out from Charleston 26 June 1945 and on 1 July took station off Argentia, Newfoundland to report meteorological data. She remained on this duty until 21 October aside from the period 6 to 21 August during which she towed SC-705 to Reykjavik, Iceland. Arriving at Boston Navy Yard 25 October, Davenport remained there until decommissioned 4 February 1946. She was sold 6 June 1946.