Return to DANFS IndexImage of an anchorReturn to Naval History and Heritage Command homepage
flag banner
Dictionary of American Naval Fighting Ships banner
DEPARTMENT OF THE NAVY -- NAVAL HISTORY AND HERITAGE COMMAND
805 KIDDER BREESE SE -- WASHINGTON NAVY YARD
WASHINGTON DC 20374-5060

Dauntless

 

Bold; fearless; intrepid.

 

II

 

(PG-61: dp. 1,950 (f.); l. 257'7"; b. 35'2"; dr. 16'3"; s. 16k.; cpl. 135; a. 2 3")

 

The second Dauntless (PG-61) was built as Delphine in 1921 by Great Lakes Engine Works, Ecorse, Mich.; acquired by the Navy 21 January 1942; and commissioned 11 May 1942, Commander C. F. Grisham in command.

 

Dauntless departed Ecorse, Mich., 27 May 1942 and arrived at Washington, D.C., 16 June. She relieved Vixen (PG-53) as flagship for Commander-in-Chief, United States Fleet, and remained at Washington until decommissioned 11 May 1946. She was transferred to the Maritime Commission 10 June 1946 for disposal.