Energy in style or action; animation.
(AM-428: dp. 620; 1. 172'; b. 36'; dr. 10; s. 15 k.; cpl. 74; a. 1 40mm; cl. Agile)
The second Dash (AM-428) was launched 20 September 1952 by Astoria Marine Construction Co., Astoria, Oreg.; sponsored by Mrs. D. McKay; and commissioned 14 August 1953, Lieutenant Commander R. Giamotti in command. She was reclassified MSO-428, 7 February 1955.
Sailing from San Diego 12 June 1954 Dash arrived at Charleston, S.C., 6 July. She sailed out of Charleston on local duty and for refresher training at Key West, until 4 January 1956 when she got underway with her division for a tour of duty in the Mediterranean with the 6th Fleet. She returned to Charleston 11 June.
Dash served in the Mediterranean again between 1 May and 2 October 1957 and between 27 April and 27 August 1959. Through 1962, she operated along the east coast and in the Caribbean in amphibious and mine warfare exercises.