The well-known single-flowered plant.
(SwStr: t.173; l.110'6"; b. 22'6"; dr. 5'6"; s. 8 k.; cpl. 35; a. 2 20-pdr. r.)
Daffodil, a side-wheel steamer, was built as Jonas Smith by B. C. Terry at Keyport, Ky., in 1862. She was purchased at New York 17 November 1862 and fitted out at New York Navy Yard.
Assigned to duty with the South Atlantic Blockading Squadron, Daffodil sailed 24 November 1862, Acting Master L. G. Crane ir. command. From her arrival at Port Royal, S.C., 10 December 1862 until the end of the war she served as tug in the coastal waters of South Carolina and Georgia. Her services were characterized by Admiral S. F. DuPont as invaluable. On 8 September 1863 she towed 25 of the boats in the assault on Fort Sumter. From 27 November to 29 December 1864 she took part in the successful Army-Navy expedition up Broad River to destroy the Charleston and Savannah Railroad Bridge near Pocotaligo, S.C. On 27 January 1865 she made a reconnaissance up the Ashepoo River and on 9 February joined in a successful engagement with enemy batteries in the Togodo River, S.C.
After the Civil War Daffodil joined the newly organized North Atlantic Squadron and was stationed at Port Royal, S.C., until sold at Savannah, Ga., 13 March 1867.